GB-Newcastle Upon Tyne: T21/0010 Onboard Data Buffer and Processor
Competitive Contract Notice
1. Title: GB-Newcastle Upon Tyne: T21/0010 Onboard Data Buffer and Processor
2. Awarding Authority:
Pandon Building, Camden Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, United Kingdom
Tel. 0191 227 4303, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, URL: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk
Contact: Jon Borley, Attn: Jon Borley
3. Contract Type: Supplies
Sub Type: PURCHASE
4. Description: Populated printed circuit boards. Satellite communications equipment. Communication satellites. Currently, the highest heritage ka-band radio frequency (RF) technology in small sats (herein we refer to them as CubeSats) can achieve 10-100 kbps with an onboard data storage capacity of ~8 GBytes (similar to SD cards in mobile phones). The aim of this experimental research project is to replace the existing low-speed RF and high-power transceiver in CubeSats with the high-speed, light weight and lower power free-space optical (FSO) wireless technology. The proposed intensity-modulation/direct-detection (IM/DD) FSO system will use an infrared laser source prototyped by Durham and Northumbria Universities in collaboration with UK-based industry partner SMS Electronics Limited. The high-speed electronics (encoding, modulation, etc.), the drive circuit and the optical head as well as the optical receiver together with all the supporting data, control, and optics modules will now be optimized and fabricated, increasing to TRL-7. We are seeking a sub-contractor who will help us to design and develop (to PCB layout and bring-up testing) a full working prototype of the electronics boards for handling high speed (1 Gbps) data transmission using our FSO system design, incorporating radiation hardened components, flight-ready controller, and buffering to interface with the satellite bus.
5. CPV Codes:
31712310 - Populated printed circuit boards.
32531000 - Satellite communications equipment.
35631100 - Communication satellites.
6. NUTS Codes :
UKC - NORTH EAST (ENGLAND)
7. Main Site or Location of Works, Main Place of Delivery or Main Place of Performance: NORTH EAST (ENGLAND),
8. Reference Attributed by the Awarding Authority: T21/0010 Onboard Data Buffer and Processor
9. Estimated Value of Requirement: Category H: 100K to 500K
10. Deadline for Expression of Interest: 22/10/2021 12:00:00
11. Address to which they must be sent:
12. Other Information:
Other Information: For more information about this opportunity, please visit the Delta eSourcing portal at:
To respond to this opportunity, please click here:
Suitable for VCO: No
Period of Work Start date: 01/11/2021
Period of Work End date: 16/03/2022
Is this a Framework Agreement?: no